Leschi Green Gut Rehab
This home was originally built in 1919, and is 2-stories with a basement. When purchased in 2007, the house was in poor repair, extremely leaky, and was not functionally well laid out. It was essentially a stripped shell with exposed floor joists and wall cavities. The second floor included a typical gable roof with a small window at either end, and because the south side of the house was already at the set-back line, there was no way to extend the roof line.
The floor plan was redesigned to include functional, adaptable spaces. In order to accommodate three bedrooms and extend the ceiling on the second floor, the roof peak was raised, which increased the pitch of the roof line. A crow’s nest (future yoga and meditation studio) was added, which allowed an additional view of Lake Washington and a special place for rejuvenation.
The priorities for this project were improved envelope and energy efficiency. Additionally, homeowner Colleen Groll of O'Brien & Company, wanted to incorporate salvaged products and healthy finishes where possible.
In order for this project to pursue LEED for Homes certification a complete gut rehab was necessary, as partial or even substantial remodels are not eligible. Additionally all systems and components (e.g. HVAC, water heater, windows) are required to be replaced and exterior walls must be open to allow for a Thermal Bypass Inspection.
Features - Exterior & Envelope
- Metal Roof
- Locally Milled Red Cedar Siding (from naturally downed trees)
- Double 2x4 Wall Construction
- Blower Door Tested
- Envelope Airsealing using Closed Cell Foam & Caulk
- Blown-in Cellulose Batts (R-28 Walls)
- Super-insulating SeriousWindows (u-factor range .15-.17)
- Garage Can Accommodate up to (4) 500-gallon Tanks for Rainwater Catchment
- Cantilevered Deck to Protect Environmentally Sensitive Area
- Permeable Driveway & Parking Area
Features - Interior
- RecoupAerator 200DX Energy Recovery Ventilation System
- HTP Elite Energy Star Modulating Boiler (up to 98% efficient)
- Runtal Wall Radiators
- Lennox Elite Direct-Vent Gas Fireplace w/ Electronic Pilot
- Over 100 YR Old Salvaged Wood Floors (from Garfield High School)
- Salvaged Solid Wood Cabinets & Doors (from Second Use)
- Locally Made Paperstone Countertops
- Energy Star Lighting & CFL Bulbs used Throughout 95% of House
- Kohler Highline Toilet w/ Sloan FlushMate Pressure-Assist (only 1.0 GPF)
- Low-Flow Showers & Faucets
- Non-Toxic Paints (Benjamin Moore Natura) & Finishes