Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roastery
Location200 Market St. NE Olympia, WA 98501
Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roasters
This commercial roastery and corporate headquarters has been progressively retrofitted to improve energy efficiency and reduce water usage and waste. Their building, like their coffee, reflects a commitment to total quality, social conscience and sustainability throughout the business.
Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roasters is an Olympia-based company deeply committed to sustainability both locally and around the world.
Starting with a well-built steel frame building, B&B has made ongoing improvements to their building and sustainability practices, resulting in significant reductions in energy use, solid waste and other environmental impacts.
- Batdorf & Bronson was the first coffee roaster in the world to be supplied by100% green power and we use the green tag exchange with the Bonneville Power Administration and Puget Sound Energy.
- The solar panels atop our building power the computer data center.
- We have reduced the size of our trash can from a one yard dumpster to the smallest can available to a commercial business, and we rarely fill the 35 gallon can.
- By replacing our inefficient toilets with better low flow option we save 205 gallons of water a day.
- We’ve replaced twenty-three inefficient lights in our warehouse, saving 18,980 kilowatts and $1,651 a year. We replaced our old incandescent EXIT lights to LED, a savings of 70%.
- Most of the plants in our landscape are local and low water and we will soon receive grey water for our landscape from the LOTT plant across the street.
- Our building was designed to offer an abundance of natural light through the many windows and skylights.
- Our HVAC system is optimally maintained to keep efficiency and half the warehouse is heated by the coffee roaster.
- Photo cells and timers control exterior lighting.
Long before it was fashionable to be green, Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roasters was doing the right thing and reducing the environmental impact of its production, administration and retail facilities.
This leadership has been recognized by an award from the Governor of the State of Washington and charter membership in the EPA's Green Power Partnership.
Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roasters is very happy to announce that we are winners of the 2007 Environmental Protection Agency's Beacon Award for Marketing, which was presented to us on October 22.