Welcome to the South Sound Chapter of the Northwest EcoBuilding Guild!
The South Sound Chapter has a monthly Calendar of Education Events. We usually take the summer off, monthly meetings will resume in the Fall. Check out resources from the latest one below.
"We are excited to serve the members of the Guild in Thurston, Pierce, Lewis, and Mason counties. We are reaching out to an extended group to re-engage and energize the South Sound EcoBuilding Community!"
- Steve Abercrombie, Board President
Earthquake Preparedness for Your Home
Resource: Powerpoint Slides from the Earthquake Preparedness education session now available filled with great information - from structural strength to what / how to secure contents to earthquake insurance. Check it out!!
This event was held on:
Thursday, June 23, 2016
6:00 - 8:00 pm
Eastside Urban Farm & Garden Center
2326 4TH Ave E, Olympia
Featuring a panel of local experts:
- Mike Szramek, P.E. S.E., MC Squared Inc. Building and Utility Codes and Structure Readiness
- Jeremy Van Orman-Ballantine, Worker-Owner, Northwest Construction Cooperative Building Content Readiness
- Marilyn Zuckerman, Former Owner Zuckerman Funk Insurance, Earthquake Insurance
Moderated by Barb Scavezze, NWEBG
Is your home ready for the "Big One"?
A Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake will have severe, long-lasting shaking that could last nearly 6 minutes. Find out how you can prepare your home and its contents to reduce potential damage, and whether you should buy earthquake insurance.
- What are the code requirements for securing a house to the foundation, and for securing water heaters, fuel tanks and wood burning stoves?
- What can you do to make your house more resistant to damage during an earthquake?
- How can you protect yourself from flying and falling objects during an earthquake?
- How do you secure heavy furniture such as bookcases and dressers so they don’t fall on you?
- Will the feds pay if we have a big earthquake?
- Who should have earthquake insurance and what does it cover?
Semi-monthly eNewsletter EcoTone
Find out about our upcoming meetings, classes and workshops.
Codes Innovation Database
with Thurston Climate Action Team, Evergreen State College interns, and Thurston County Planning Department. More information...
Thurston County Green and Healthy Homes Affordable Homes Initiative
Thurston Energy, Homes First and the Northwest EcoBuilding Guild inspired Thurston County Health Department to launch a new Green and Healthy Homes Initiative. Learn more on the Facebook Page or at Thurston Thrives Housing Action Team website.
General Chapter Inquiries
facebook.com/groups/OlyVBC August 15-23, 2015! The OlyVBC is a year-long series of placemaking events that bring together neighbors in community, culminating next summer in a 10-day extravaganza of projects, workshops and celebrations.