Ten Directions Design
The owner wanted to create as green a house as possible on a limited budget. Owner is also a dancer who wanted a dance space in the upper level.
- The house has above code insulation in the walls and attic. The attic has R-50 foam insulation. The walls are a combination of R-21 batt insulation plus R-10 rigid insulation over the exterior of the studs. The floor over the crawl space is insulated with R-30 batt.
- Mechanical features include a heat recovery ventilation (HRV), tankless hot water heater, ductless mini-split heat pump system.
- Has a large south facing metal roof for future solar panel installation and rain water collection.
- The old house was deconstructed. During construction there was no dumpster used, because all excess materials were reused, composted or recycled.
- The shell of the house features fiber-cement board for durability. It was installed over a rain screen.
- Interior paint was created from recycled paint supplies and color blended in a 55 gallon drum.
- The exterior landscaping will be all native vegetation.